We’ve been making breakfast for dinner once a week for several months now. It saves us money on meat and uses up the abundance of eggs we get from our chickens. These meals were a little choppy in the beginning as I researched recipes and altered them to be more filling (since they are for dinner after all!). I also tried variations of ingredients until I found the best balance of flavor and affordability. In this recipe, for example, milk, sugar and wheat bread are used instead of the usual heavy cream, corn syrup and French bread. Now I’m happy to report that Breakfast For Dinner nights are everyone’s favorite. Even my two-year-old loves it! But you can always use this recipe for breakfast or brunch too. And don’t be afraid to trade the peaches for other fruit. I’ve used fresh berries a few times. Frozen raspberries too! I usually serve it with country potatoes and fresh fruit.
Peaches & Cream French Toast Bake
1/2 cup Butter
1/2 cup Brown sugar
1/2 cup Granulated sugar
1/4 cup Water
1 can (29 ounces) sliced peaches, drained
1 loaf whole wheat bread, cubed
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese
1 cup Milk
1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
Special Splurge Ingredient:
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1. Grease a 13″x9″ baking dish.
2. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the water and both sugars. Stir until sugar is completely dissolved. Pour into the greased baking dish.
3. Carefully arrange the peach slices in one layer on the sugar solution.
If using the Special Splurge Ingredient:
Sprinkle peaches and syrup solution with chopped pecans.
4. Cover the peaches with a layer of cubed bread (about half the bread) then dot the bread with pea-sized pieces of cream cheese.
5. Cover with remaining bread cubes.
6. In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, milk and vanilla. Whisk until all ingredients have been well- blended.
7. Pour the egg mixture over the bread, being sure to saturate it evenly.
8. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes (overnight is ok too, if you’d like an easy and impressive breakfast in the morning!).
9. When ready to bake, cook at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes. A knife should come out clean when you poke the center.
10. Eat. Yum!