Even though this recipe only uses two eggs, I still categorize it as an “Egg Recipe” because I usually serve Banana Bread with my Ham, Egg and Cheese Cups or my other egg recipes on BFD (Breakfast For Dinner) nights. Banana Bread is easy to make ahead of time and, with a side of fruit or yogurt, makes any egg-based dish into a complete dinner.
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter
3 ripe bananas, mashed with a fork
2 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cups flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
NOTE: Whole wheat flour can be exchanged for more white flour, if needed. The measurement would remain the same.
Special Splurge Ingredients:
(These will be used to add an optional, but amazing, Streusel Topping to the Banana Wheat Bread)
1/2 cup white flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup (half a stick) butter
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Grease a loaf pan with oil.
2. In a large mixing bowl, cream the sugar and butter. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each one.
3. Add the mashed bananas and mix well. Mix in the milk, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt, stirring well after each.
4. Add both flours and mix together until completely blended.
5. Pour batter into greased pan.
If using the Special Splurge Ingredients:
Mash all of the Special Splurge Ingredients (except the nuts) together in a bowl using a fork. Add nuts and mix thoroughly. Sprinkle the streusel mix directly onto the batter in the loaf pan, covering the surface of the batter evenly.
6. Bake 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean, inserted in the center. Cool for 15 minutes before removing bread from pan. Let it cool the rest of the way on a rack before slicing (unless you’re like me and enjoy warm, messy slices!). Best served with honey, butter, or honey-butter!
6. Eat. Yum!