This is the simplest BFD (Breakfast For Dinner) recipe EVER! There’s no easier way to cook eggs than to break ’em and bake ’em. It’s also my most requested recipe, making it’s way through Facebook circulation (a friend posts a picture to thank me for the recipe and everyone asks how to make it) three times now. I usually double the recipe so everyone in our household of six gets two cups each and serve it with Banana Wheat Bread, fruit (canned or fresh) and yogurt. Making it with turkey (instead of ham) is both by favorite dinner AND my oldest son Charlie’s favorite. In fact, he only associates muffin tins with cooking eggs!
Helpful tip: If you have leftover lunch meat, chop it up and put it in a freezer bag to use in a quiche or strata later!
12 slices deli-thin-sliced lunch meat (I’m using ham this time, but my favorite is Turkey. Or you can be ironic and use chicken!)
1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used sharp cheddar, but pick your favorite!)
Pepper and garlic powder, to taste
Special Splurge Ingredient:
1/2 cup fresh baby spinach, cleaned
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease each cup in a muffin tin.
2. Line each muffin cup with two slices if meat, being extra careful not to puncture or tear the slices.
3. Put a pinch of shredded cheese inside each “meat cup”.
If you bought the “Speacial Splurge Ingredient”, add a few baby spinach leaves inside the lunch meat cups before adding the shredded cheese in this step.
4. Crack an egg into each cup, being careful to keep it inside the “meat liner”. They should resemble little protein flowers!
5. Sprinkle each egg with seasonings to your taste. I use pepper and garlic powder but I avoid salt since the lunch meat is usually salty.
6. Add a pinch of shredded cheese on top of each egg, again being careful to keep it within the “meat liner”.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes, or until eggs are completely cooked through. Carefully remove Ham, Egg and Cheese Cups from muffin tin using a spoon.
8. Eat. Yum!