This dish is a staple in my husband’s family and Ryan taught it to me when we moved into our first apartment. I punched it up a little by adding caramelized onions and serving them on French rolls but (thanks to the local dollar store) these sandwiches are unique, affordable, easy to make and extremely satisfying. They are also very versatile when it comes to the number of servings, so although this recipe is written for a family of six, it’s easily adaptable whether you need to feed two people…or eight!
2 large onions, cut into thin slices (Vidalia onions are best, but you can see from the pictures that I use whatever is on sale)
1 bag (of 6) whole wheat French rolls
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, each cut into 3 large thick slices
Seasoned Salt or Creole Seasoning
6 thick slices of cheese (I used sharp cheddar, but any will work)
1 can (7 oz) whole green chiles
Ranch or spicy ranch dressing
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. If you’re anything like me and freeze bread, this is an ideal time to toast/defrost your French rolls.
2. In a frying pan, cook the onions over medium heat (with a little oil) until transparent. Sprinkle with a spoonful of sugar and a dash of salt, then turn the heat down to low and let them simmer, stirring occasionally, while you make the rest of the meal. By the time everything else is done, the onions should be brown, caramelized and delicious.
3. Lightly oil a baking dish or broiling pan and arrange the chicken breasts slices so they don’t touch. Sprinkle with seasoned salt or creole seasoning. Bake at 450 degrees for 20 minutes, or until no longer pink in the middle and juices run clear. Alternately, you could cook them under the broiler. Just make sure to turn them once during the process.
4. Remove dish from oven or broiler. Place a slice of cheese on each piece of chicken, then top the cheese with half of a green chile. Return to oven (or broiler) for one to two minutes, or until cheese is melted.
5. To serve, spread each whole wheat french roll with ranch dressing, add a piece of cheesy green chile chicken and top with caramelized onions. Serve with a side of your favorite veggies or (for an extra treat) make oven fries.
6. Eat. Yum!