The holiday season can be a real time-suck AND budget wrecker… a fact that becomes especially apparent when planning daily meals and grocery shopping lists for a hungry family. That being said, I’m going to be sharing a few of our favorite EASY weeknight meals, the majority of ingredients for which can be purchased at most dollar stores (I personally shop at our local “99 Cents Only” store)! Our very first “Dollar Store Dinner” recipe uses ONLY ingredients from the dollar store, costs a total of $7, feeds a family of six dinner and still has enough leftovers for lunch the following day, and still manages to be one of my kids’ favorite meals…
Dollar Store Dinner: Pizza Bread!
- $2 2 loaves of French bread
- $1 1 (18.5 oz) can of spaghetti sauce
- $2 1 bag of shredded mozzarella or “pizza blend” cheese (make sure you choose the REAL cheese. Artificial “shredded topping” looks the part and is even more attractively priced but is lacks the flavor and health benefits of real cheese)
- $1 pepperonis (or any other topping you prefer)
- $1 1 bag of frozen veggies (to serve on the side)
- Preheat the oven at 350 degrees F.
- Cut both loaves of French bread in half (as pictured). You may also need to cut a tiny bit off the “bottom” of each half to level it so they don’t rock back and forth when putting them in the oven. Place each pair of bread halves on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Top each loaf half with sauce, cheese and toppings.
- Bake at 350 degree F for 15-20 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Prepare frozen veggies as directed on the package
- Let Pizza bread cool slightly before slicing and serving with veggies. Eat! Yum!
We usually make one loaf with pepperonis and one loaf with plain cheese but we’ve also used veggies (onion, olive, bell pepper, mushroom, etc) or made it using leftover meat from a previous meal, depending on our budget flexibility.
Letting it cool 5-10 minutes makes it much easier to cut.
What do you think of this recipe? Did you try it? Were you able to find all of the ingredients at your local dollar store? How did you customize your Pizza bread? Please share in the comments!