Continuing our theme of weeknight meals that are budget and time friendly for the crazy holiday season, I’d like to share this versatile and delicious pasta dish. The ingredients are a combination of common dollar store grocery finds and the kind of leftovers you’d find in our fridge at any given time. That’s the “surprise”: The choice of meat and veggies used can change every time you make it! Don’t usually have leftovers? Don’t sweat it! Just use whatever meat and veggies are on sale. Assuming you do use leftovers and find the remaining ingredients at your local dollar store (The 99 Cent Only store in our neighborhood always has these items in stock), this meal will only set you back $5 TOTAL to provide dinner for a family of six and still have leftovers for lunch the next day (or a second dinner).
Dollar Store Dinners: Tomato Cream Spaghetti Surprise
- $0 Leftover cooked meat and/or veggies of your choice (I used leftover zucchini, about half a cup of browned ground beef and a linguica that I had chopped up and pan-fried)
- $1 1 lb package of spaghetti
- $1 1/2 pint heavy cream
- $3 3 (18.5 oz) cans of spaghetti sauce
- $0 Seasoning to taste (I used garlic powder, basil, salt and pepper)
- Cook the spaghetti following the directions on the package, drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot combine the three cans of sauce and the entire half pint of heavy cream. cook on medium medium heat while stirring constantly until heated through.
- Add leftover veggies and meat. Continue cooking until meat and veggies are heated through. Season to taste.
- To serve, place a serving of spaghetti on each plate then ladled the sauce on top. Sprinkle with Parmesan, if you like.
- Eat. Yum!